Refugee Migration and Integration Revisited:
Lessons from the Recent Past
The IAB-ECSR interdisciplinary conference on the 27-28th of May 2021 (Hybrid)
hosted by the Institute for Employment Research (IAB) and the European Consortium for Sociological Research (ECSR)
Call for papers: IAB-ECSR Interdisciplinary Conference – Refugee Migration and Integration
Germany has emerged as the leading destination of refugees in the EU and among other high-income countries in absolute terms at 1.6 million asylum applications, which have been submitted there from 2015 to 2018. More than two-thirds of the refugee population in Germany has already received a protection status, another one-fifth of the applications are still pending. Five years after the surge in refugee migration to Germany and other European countries in 2015 we aim to draw first conclusions of what has been achieved regarding the integration of refugees into the economy and other areas of society in the leading destination countries of asylum-seekers in the EU and world-wide. This becomes even of utmost importance given the challenges of the COVID-19 crisis for the economies and societies worldwide.
The conference aims to bring together demographers, economists, sociologists and political scientists to discuss the most critical lessons on refugee integration in Europe and encourages contributions on the following topics:
- refugee migration, family reunification and patterns of settlement;
- selection of refugees;
- asylum procedures and effectiveness of integration programs;
- refugee penalty and labor market integration;
- educational and training opportunities for refugees and their offspring;
- social integration and family dynamics;
- language and cultural integration;
- health and traumata;
- consequences of the COVID-19 Crisis;
- effects on host country economy and population.
We invite researchers to submit Abstracts of max. 1000 words (plus three keywords) to IAB-ECSR@iab.de. Please, also indicate the preferred presentation format (panel or poster presentation).
• Jesús Fernández-Huertas Moraga, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
• Elias Dinas, European University Institute
• Rawan Arar, University of Washington
Yuliya Kosyakova (IAB & University of Mannheim)
Herbert Brücker (IAB, BIM & Humboldt University)
Stefan Bernhard (IAB & FAU), Herbert Brücker (IAB, BIM & Humboldt University), Christian Czymara (Goethe University Frankfurt), Bernd Fitzenberger (IAB & FAU), Anette Haas (IAB), Jannes Jacobsen (DIW & & Humboldt University), Agnieszka Kanas (Erasmus University Rotterdam), Irena Kogan (University of Mannheim), Cornelia Kristen (University of Bamberg), Yuliya Kosyakova (IAB & University of Bamberg, University of Mannheim), Zerrin Salikutluk (BIM & Humboldt University), Ehsan Vallizadeh (IAB & University of Bamberg).
- January 10, 2021: Deadline for extended abstract submission
- February 28, 2021: Notification of acceptance
- March 01, 2021: Start of registration
- April 10, 2021: Deadline for registration
CfP and Registration link
Conference Fee, Travel Costs and Accommodation (ECSR travel award)
There will be no fee for the conference.
The ECSR will also travels and accommodation costs up to 750€ for four outstanding PhD students. In order to be eligible for a travel award, the applicant must be the sole author, or the first author of the paper and the full paper must be submitted to and accepted by the workshop committee. Only PhD students or researchers, who submitted their PhDs no earlier than 2020 are eligible.